Perhaps...

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Excuse me waiter, this poems overdone...

I find myself compelled to tell you this.

I want to write about Lot's wife, from the perspective of Lot's wife, after the pillaring.

But...

A huge part of me is against this idea. It's been done. It's been done so much that Lot's wife could have her own anthology.


Have you ever just had that ripping desire to write about something that has been done so much? Adam and Eve? Lot's wife? Love in an elevator? Tell me - was it satisfying once you wrote it? Did you write it?

3 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

I wrote a Sisyphus poem a few years ago that turned out pretty well. I think the trick is do something unique with the material, maybe riff off it or something. Approach it from an odd or fresh angle. That kind of thing.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Kate Evans said...

Um, does writing about death count as an overused topic?

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah, I guess that would count.

Come to think of it... Is there such a thing as a topic that hasn't been overdone?

I guess that's the poet's task - to take each topic and paint it a different color.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home