Perhaps...

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Poetry Blues

I find myself being let down by contemporary poetry lately.

I don't consider myself an "experimental" poet or even a "language" poet... but lately, I am starting to feel as though I am way out in left field with my writing and it has made me slightly frustrated.

I find that most of my success is with the poems that I wrote long ago that have a more narrative bend. Granted, I would still say that they do not quite follow a firm narrative by any stretch of the imagination, but they are much more grounded in reason and logic than say, my "Itself" poems which explore language a little more while still maintaining a lyricism that satisfies me. It makes me question my choices lately.

It seems to me that journals are leaning too hard into traditionalist poetry -- some even seem to have gone backwards, including poems that are almost archaic. I believe that these poems belong in this world and should be written and read, but it is all I am seeing anymore. They seem to be founded so much on "conversation" and "readability."

Just something I've been thinking about lately.

-------

In non-poetry news, Nicholas was in a car accident the other day. Thankfully he is alright. No one was injured and he doesn't have a single bit of pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home