Perhaps...

Thursday, November 16, 2006

In the mail yesterday:

the new issue of The Laurel Review.

Something about this issue has me on a cloud. Sure I'm in it - that helps, right? But that's not the only thing... there is so much good stuff going on in it that I can't stop reading it. And that's saying something. Lately, the literary magazines I've been reading have been fairly boring and I can barely make it through three or four pages - but not this time.

Maybe it's because Mary Ann is in this issue. Maybe it's because she has a very interesting interview there where she likens white space in a poem to a lion. (Seriously... I squealed - loudly - when I read that).

I just have to say - the poets and poems in this issue really grabbed my attention. I was introduced to a new poet in this issue whom I must say I think is doing some very interesting things. His name is Jeffrey Bean, and I really think his stuff is great. I, of course, had to google him once I read him in TLR, and what I found didn't disappoint me. He doesn't have a book yet, and from what I see of his contributor's note, he's a fairly new writer... but I truly believe that he is a poet to watch for... I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more from him.

Amy Newman also had some interesting poems in this issue.

If you don't already have it... this is one magazine worth purchasing.

1 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Blogger melissa said...

congrats! i was sad that i didn't get to come down to hear amy read on thursday. i was really looking forward to it. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home