Perhaps...

Monday, November 20, 2006

I double dog dare you to buy a contemporary collection of poetry over Thanksgiving break.

I found this on the Backwards City Review blog. It scares me a little bit.

"According to BookNet Canada, only 3,241 poetry titles from more than 500 publishers (U.S., Canadian, British et al.) have sold one or more copies in the last 12 months. It's a market 'fuelled by love of language rather than financial reward,' observes BookNet CEO Michael Tamblyn. 'Very few titles [sell] more than 100 copies a year, but that doesn't stop poetry presses from fighting the good fight.'"

2 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

I read that article too. Sobering stuff. I don't buy as much poety as I used to, but I've bought at least four books this year (I go to the library more that I used to). I'll probably buy a few more with gift certificates from Christmas. I try to subscribe to two or more literary magazines each year. Somehow, it still doesn't seem like enough.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger melissa said...

i bought one about a month ago. can i count that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home