Perhaps...

Friday, August 15, 2008

country mouse in the city

So, we supposedly moved into a "quiet, professional neighborhood." But, because I have lived in the middle of nowhere for the past two years, I can't get used to the city noise here. I do not think it is quiet.

Since we moved in about a month ago, I have not had a single night of good sleep. I've been going to bed later and later and waking up earlier and earlier.

I guess one of the things I am going to have to get used to again is living in an apartment. Granted, we live above a business, so it's not quite as noisy as it could be. There is no one here in the late evenings. But, they arrive in the early hours of the morning and I hear them come in every time. I hear the carts wheeling around. And on certain days, I hear a very LOUD employee who doesn't hesitate to talk, stomp, laugh, listen to music, etc. as loud as humanly possible. I would swear she was in bed next to me sometimes. Then, I hear the street noise... oh, the street noise. That is the hardest thing to get used to. We had zero noise at our last house because we lived a tenth of a mile from the rural road. But now, we live right on the road and every car wakes me up. It shouldn't bother me. I used to live right next to the traintracks... but it's been so long ago that my body isn't used to noise anymore. I hear the garbage truck. I hear people's dogs. And now.... I hear partying college students.

We actually live in a nice neighborhood that is home to primarily graduate students and professionals. But, I guess because I am hyper sensitive to noise right now, I hear the parties that are taking place way up the road. It's easy to tell that school is back in session.

And the other night, the security alarm went off downstairs. Apparently, something fell over in the business and set off the motion sensor... Needless to say, I didn't sleep easy that night.

-------

Don't get me wrong. I love our new home. It is beautiful inside. It is an old Victorian farmhouse with great character. And, it's been kept up very nicely. It is amazing to be within walking distance of pretty much everything. We use so much less gasoline. And, we can go grocery shopping for smaller amounts and it only takes a few minutes.

Once I get used to the noise, this will be the perfect place to live. But for now, I feel more like a country mouse than I ever have

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home